We are hiring a Distribution Manager to help us shape the future of the regional food supply chain in the Tk’emlups/Kamloops region.
In Fall 2022, KFPC launched The Stir’s full-scale processing kitchen, and we are now moving forward with the next stage of transformative change in our regional food system: building an effective model for local food distribution. The Distribution Manager will work toward this goal in two ways:
- At the organizational level, supporting KFPC to launch an effective distribution enterprise that operates out of The Stirfront (expected to include in-person and online retail).
- At the systems level, working to understand and address the gaps, barriers, assets and action steps for supporting distribution, aggregation and vertical integration of the supply chain in the region.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participating in the distribution feasibility study process as a KFPC leader, engaging with sector experts and community partners to better understand the gaps, barriers, assets and action steps for supporting distribution, aggregation and vertical integration of the supply chain in the region;
- Supporting the successful launch of the retail component of The Stirfront by contributing to the development of the business plan and budget, governance model, and operating procedures;
- Acting as the implementation lead for The Stirfront business plan;
- Investigating and facilitating aggregation and distribution of local food;
- Investigating and facilitating economic development opportunities for the region, including promoting the local food economy, attracting new producers and businesses and identifying market opportunities;
- Investigating and facilitating cooperative or social enterprises with the potential to offer co-packing services, cooperative marketing and/or distribution;
- Acting as a first point of contact for local producers, food businesses and potential entrepreneurs, connecting them with resources and services provided by The Stir and other community partners (such as distribution services, kitchen rental or business mentorship training);
- Working with the KFPC team to create an annual budget for The Stir and Stirfront and operating within the agreed upon budget;
- Working with the KFPC team and other community partners to pursue funding models, revenue streams and fundraising/grant opportunities to support the long-term financial sustainability of The Stir and Stirfront;
- Communicating effectively with community partners, local producers and food hub clients, and establishing and maintaining beneficial relationships that support the success of The Stir and Stirfront;
- Acting as a spokesperson for The Stirfront and engaging in community outreach, including organizing networking and learning events.
- This is a 14 month term position (Feb 2023 – Mar 2024), with an extension subject to funding approval and the annual performance of the candidate;
- The position is full-time (35 hours per week), and the manager may work within a flexible averaging agreement;
- Office space will be provided at the KFPC office, however, the manager may be required to work from a home office location dependent on Covid-19 restrictions;
- The work will take place within a highly collaborative team environment with a distributed leadership model;
- Salary will be set according to the KFPC pay scale at the manager level ($26-30/hr)
Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in a related field preferred (e.g. business administration, food retail management, community economic development); Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5-7 years related management experience;
- Project management skills and experience;
- Strong communications skills;
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills;
- Organized, self-directed and resourceful, good at problem solving; and
- Passionate about building a food system that is regenerative, sovereign and just.
How to apply:
The Kamloops Food Policy Council values diversity and is committed to providing an inclusive work environment. We are looking for qualified individuals at all job levels who represent the diversity of the people participating in the food system. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, origin and ethnic affiliations, abilities, ages, and religions.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please combine both cover letter and resume into one PDF document labeled: Last Name, First Name
Applications will be reviewed beginning January 19, 2023. Posting will remain open until filled.