Network Meeting Summary
June 5, 2019
Secwepemc Word of the Month
skwlúlecw (sku-loo-low)= mid-summer
– Several grant applications have been submitted by the leadership team, which we are excited about.
– Carole visited the new Garden Collective and is impressed with what is happening in the McDonald Park site. It has been given a new life with the attention of volunteers and guidance from Hamish.
– Looking forward to the AGM in August. Interested board members can find information on our website related to terms of reference and expressions of interest (scroll down past the Board members for the details).
– Catharine, a Social Work practicum student, has joined KFPC for the summer. Welcome!
– Green living expo was attended by Bonnie and Sandra to promote seed cleaning and the seed library.
– Farm to School: The spring celebration was held at the Food Centre on May 29th. There were over 100 kids and adults, with 9 community partners that had stations for the kids to engage in. Bonnie also attended the National Farm to School conference in Victoria and made lots of great connections and learned about excellent programs.
– PopCycle, the KFPC social enterprise, was launched at Brewloops. We are making fruitpops from fresh, local gleaned fruit, and 100% of the proceeds go to supporting community food action in Kamloops. We sold nearly 250 fruitpops at Brewloops!
– The KFPC is moving forward with the policy implementation project. In particular, there are two working groups: food hub and agricultural training initiatives. The food hub working group is gaining a lot of energy and there seems to be good potential there.
Insights were shared from the feedback received following Nourish. Small groups were also invited to answer questions that will be incorporated into the final evaluation report. To see the presentation slides, click on this link: Nourish Powerpoint Slides – June 5
– Interior Community Services hosted their grand opening on June 4th. Nick Saul came from Community Food Centres Canada, along with several local elected officials and community members. The food was great and the activities were engaging. Congratulations ICS!!!
– There is a hiking group Lawrence is leading on Sundays. If you are interested in coming to it, get in touch with him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Events – Save the Dates & Get Tix!
Farm 2 Chef Grazing Event – July 21, 5 – 8 PM
Early Bird prices ($50 per ticket) until June 30
KFPC AGM – August 7, 5:30 to 7:30 PM
If you are interested in learning more about what it means to join the Board of Directors, you can read over the expectations and terms of reference on the KFPC website. There is also information about how to submit your expression of interest by 4 PM on June 18.
Next Network Meeting: July 3, 2019, 5:30 – 7:30
An open session to share events and announcements
Chair: Emily P.
Set Up: Deb A., Bill
Clean Up: Mike