PopCycle is a social enterprise project with the Kamloops Food Policy Council that creates tasty fruitpops using fruit picked through our Gleaning Abundance Program.
Speaking to the Cycle:
- Kamloops revels in an abundance of fruit during the summer
- Volunteers with the Gleaning Abundance Program pick some of this fruit
- The pickings are shared with the tree owners, volunteers, and community agencies
- Sometimes there is so much fruit all at once that we are making it into delicious fruitpops!
- Our fruitpop sales cycle back into the programs that Kamloops Food Policy Council runs
Help out in the kitchen: chopping and prepping fruit, filling molds to freeze, or bagging the finished ones for sale. Contact Greg at email@example.com to make arrangements.
What is a Social Enterprise?
In a nutshell, a social enterprise is a business venture run by a non-profit. Revenue is returned to the business/non-profit to help it be self-sufficient, or it can be used to fund some other social purpose. Our aim is to generate revenue for GAP and the KFPC to have more stable core funding.
PopCycle received aid through the City of Kamloops, which helped pay for a mentorship program called Purppl (Purposeful People). Through Purppl, we received hands-on training in business planning, decision-making and processes.